A UMass Boston Grad Is Allegedly Behind ISIS’ ‘Sophisticated’ Social Media Strategy
Posted by Rant4u
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, otherwise known as ISIS, has used social media as a recruitment tool, to the point Western intelligence services are just as fearful of the Sunni militant group’s “less lethal weapons.” From state-of-the-art, full-production videos to swiping hashtags to spread their message, ISIS’ social media strategy is “sophisticated” — and it’s allegedly being run by a University of Massachusetts Boston graduate.
A senior law enforcement official told ABC News that 32-year-old Ahmad Abousamra moved to Syria and used his computer-science skills to run social media for ISIS.
Although born in France, Abousamra is reported to have grown up in Stoughton, Mass. He attended Xaverian Brothers, a private, all-boys Catholic high school in Westwood, Mass., before transferring to Stoughton High. Abousamra then enrolled in Northeastern to study computer science, according to school officials. He only spent three semesters at the university, however; he went on to graduate from UMass Boston with a degree in computer science in 2006, according to the Boston Herald.
In 2004, Abousamra traveled to the Middle East and soon started working as the “media wing” of al Qaeda in Iraq, or AQI, which later evolved into ISIS. He was charged with terrorism-related offenses in 2009 and, four years later, the FBI added him to its Most Wanted Terrorists list, offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to his capture and return to the states. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on September 6, 2014, in #breaking news, #social media and tagged Ahmad Abousamra, Boston Grad, computer science, FBI Most Wanted Terrorists, Iraq, Iraq and Syria, ISIS, Social Media, social media strategy, Syria, The Islamic State of Iraq, UMass Boston. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.