Fortune 500 companies give social media a thumbs-up
Posted by Rant4u
The world’s top bankrollers are increasingly growing their social-media presence — currently, 77 percent of Fortune 500 companies keep active Twitter accounts and 70 percent have a Facebook page.
It appears the world’s biggest moneymakers are paying increasing attention to social media.
A new report by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth takes a look at how often companies on Fortune Magazine’s Fortune 500 list are using social-media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, YouTube, Foursquare, and Pinterest. And the answer is: a lot.
Of those Fortune 500 companies, 77 percent keep active Twitter accounts, 70 percent have a Facebook page, and 69 percent have YouTube accounts. All these stats are up over last year — with 4 percent more companies keeping Twitter accounts, 4 percent more having a Facebook page, and 7 percent more on YouTube.
Other social networks aren’t as popular with the Fortune 500 companies, but they still have some presence. According to the report, 35 percent of companies have an active Google+ account. Of the 500 companies, 44 are on Instagram, 44 are on Foursquare, and 45 have Pinterest accounts.
“Due to the hugely influential role that these companies play in the business world, studying their adoption and use of social-media tools offers important insights into the future of commerce,” the report reads. “These corporations provide a look at emergent social-media trends among America’s most successful companies.”
Not surprisingly, the company that tops the list in social-media activity is a social network itself — Facebook. Ranked 482 on the Fortune 500 list, Facebook has more than 8.5 million Twitter followers and more than 92 million Facebook fans. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)