Pentagon sets cybersecurity sights on social media
Posted by Rant4u
By Amber Corrin
The Defense Department is looking for new tools that will better track postings and interactions within social media for a “broad range of tactical as well as strategic military operations,” according to a DOD solicitation.
A notice from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency indicates the Pentagon is seeking new software that will automatically sift through social media sites and track how groups interact and evolve, according to a Nextgovreport.
According to DARPA, previous efforts to track online activities and related data haven’t been very fruitful, and now the agency wants new, automated tools that use algorithms to help track and distinguish how criminal groups recruit, collaborate, compete and interact through social media.
“Social media have evolved from a platform that provides infrastructure that supports maintaining connections between friends to a platform that supports recruiting, collaborating, organizing and competing for resources… Among these communities and teams are terrorist and other criminal organizations,” the DARPA solicitation noted. “The impact of these teams on the social landscape, their interactions with other teams, the evolution of network state over time, and competition with other teams and communities has not been adequately researched. Due to the overwhelming deluge of data generated by users across social media platforms, this analysis cannot be done manually.”
The hope is that the new tools will better analyze the dynamics of these online communities and predict trends and activities. Ideally, the systems would examine aspects such as the reasons people join a given group; the knowledge, skills and opinions they bring to the community and what effect that has; how knowledge is shared and what impacts that and other factors may have on behavior; and how the dynamics evolve over time. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on July 30, 2012, in #social media and tagged cybersecurity sights, defense advanced research projects agency, Pentagon, Social Media, The Defense Department, tracking. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.