Bing and Google Deepen Social Integration in Search
Posted by Rant4u
Microsoft and Google are each taking steps to extend the social networking capabilities in their search services, with the goal of making it easier to find or share useful results.
Bing search results will now include tips and recommendations from Foursquare users, Microsoftsaid in a blog post Wednesday, while Google is apparently testing a feature that lets users share a link in Google+ directly from their search results page.
The developments show the companies continuing to compete over how best to integrate social content with search. Bing continues to partner with existing social networks, while Google continues to build on its own.
Bing will display tips and recommendations shared publically to Foursquare about businesses or other locations relevant to a user’s search query and location, Microsoft said. The search engine displays the Foursquare content in its social sidebar, which launched this spring. The tips and recommendations will be included in the “people who know” section, which doesn’t require the Bing user to be signed in to his or her social networks.
“This is only the beginning of Foursquare integration,” a spokesman said via email.
Also on Wednesday, industry watchers spotted Google testing a “share” button next to some search results that allows users to post the returned link to their Google+ profiles. Screen shots of the feature were posted to Twitter by a search marketing specialist in the U.K. and reported by Search Engine Land. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on July 18, 2012, in social networking and tagged Bing, Foursquare, google, microsoft, networking capabilities, Social Media, social networking, users share. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.