Social Media Use During Travel: Is It The Norm For You?
Posted by Rant4u
Checking into Foursquare, posting a status update on Facebook or sharing in a 140 characters on Twitter seems to be the norm today when an individual travels. Why is it the norm? In a Sun Sentinel article, Jennifer Palaro from Albany, NY states why this is true by saying, “I want to be connected with my hometown. I need to know what is going on. I have friends on cruises who are doing the same thing. You can’t break away.”
The article continues on to to give reason why vacationers use social media by saying, “Many visitors find it hard to disconnect during travel because they feel social (media) pressure to let their friends and followers know what they’re doing and where they’re doing it.”
I agree with the above statement but their are many other reasons why. In addition to visitors feeling social (media) pressure, the use of social media during travel is a way to grow their travel brand and blog, being loyal to their audience and fulfilling an obligation.
Travel Brand, Blog – Sharing content while on vacation is a way to gain feedback from the audience so you know what to share on your travel website or blog resulting in exposure and growth.
Being loyal – Months before traveling, an individual shares they are traveling to a certain place. When this is conveyed, their audience expresses interest. Social Media is all about what your audience wants to see or hear about. We must remain loyal and deliver as this is a way to gain trust and influence.
Obligation – Often many times, a certain hotel, resort, etc will invite a traveler to visit free of charge in exchange for promotion in real time which means sharing pictures and other content on social media as you experience it. To keep our character and credibility intact, we must abide and fulfill our end of the deal. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on July 17, 2012, in #social media and tagged facebook, feeling connected, social media and traveling, social networking, travel, Tweeting while traveling, vacation. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.