Facebook: Our Ads Do Too Work–Just Like Any Others–And Here’s Data to Prove It
Posted by Rant4u
Stung by claims in recent weeks that its advertising doesn’t work, Facebook is pouring on the public relations to insist that in fact, ads work just fine on the site. But while some of the claims of critics rest onshaky evidence, many questions about Facebook’s value as an advertising medium remain among the brands that constitute the bulk of all advertising online and off.
This coming week, Facebook will try to counter the negativity with new research to be revealed at the venerable Advertising Research Foundation‘s geeky but influential Audience Measurement 7.0 conference. When people speak here, marketers listen.
Facebook’s own paper, to be presented Monday, will make the case that not only do Facebook ads work, but they work on the same principles of marketing that have been honed for decades in other media. In other words: Just do what you’ve been doing, guys, and Facebook ads will deliver.
In the paper, entitled “What Traditional Principles Matter When Designing Social?”, Facebook describes how it enlisted marketing experts to rate a sample selection of Facebook ads on a scale of 1 to 5. In particular, they rated the so-called premium engagement ads (more or less like that one up on the right) that big brands run one at a time on people’s opening Facebook home page with the intention not of driving an immediate sale or signup but influencing brand preference and propensity to buy later. They came up with the ratings by judging six classic factors in ad creative:
* Focal point: Does the ad image focus attention?
* Brand link: Can you easily tell whom the advertiser is?
* Tone: How well does the tone of the ad fit the brand?
* Reward: Not just a coupon, but did you smile, learn something, or come away with a positive feeling?
* Noticeability: How noticeable is the ad?
* Point: Did the ad get its point across?
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on June 8, 2012, in #social media and tagged advertising, advertising doesn’t work, advertising research foundation, Audience Measurement 7.0 conference, Facebook ads, marketing. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.