Social media to take greater role at ASG
Posted by Rant4u
Players tweeted live from the field during the 2011 State Farm Home Run Derby, the first time that ever happened during an MLB event. They’ll be taking it a step further this year.
At this year’s Midsummer Classic, at Kauffmann Stadium in Kansas City on July 10, Major League All-Stars will be using such Twitter hashtags as #ASG and #HRDerby as they interact with fans through social media from the All-Star Game for the first time.
Computer stations will be set up adjacent to each clubhouse on July 10, allowing players to use social media while completing media obligations after they leave the game.
During the State Farm Home Run Derby, on July 9, stations will again be set up near the dugouts. Players will be able to log on to their own accounts and upload photos and videos taken on their personal devices. ESPN and FOX, which will broadcast the Home Run Derby and All-Star Game, respectively, will also heavily incorporate social media into their broadcasts.
“At its core, baseball is a social activity, so it’s natural that social media has become such a huge part of how fans enjoy the game today,” said Tim Brosnan, Major League Baseball’s executive vice president of business, in a statement. “The social media activity at the 2011 State Farm Home Run Derby was both fun and successful for all involved, so we’re thrilled to expand this effort to include the All-Star Game. This initiative will bring fans closer than ever to their favorite players, resulting in what will no doubt be the most ‘social’ events in baseball history.” Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)