Facebook Users Share and ‘Like’ Too Much, Report Says
Posted by Rant4u
Facebook has nearly 1 billion users, but a good chunk of them are clueless when it comes to using the social network safely, a new study conducted by Consumer Reports has found.
Consumer Reports projected its findings after questioning Facebook, security experts, privacy lawyers, app developers, and victims of security and privacy abuse as well as surveying 2,002 online households, including 1,340 that use Facebook.
The findings are pretty telling.
Oversharing is common. A projected 4.8 million Facebook users have publicly indicated where they planned to go on a certain day even though doing so could tip-off thieves, stalkers or others with nefarious intent. Another 4.7 million “liked” a Facebook page about health conditions or treatments, in spite of the fact that insurers could used that data against them.
Millions don’t use privacy controls. Nearly 13 million users have never set or don’t know about the social network’s privacy tools. And more than a quarter of users have shared their wall posts with an audience broader than their friends.
Data is a premium to Facebook. “It is very likely that no government or corporation has ever managed to gather such a huge amount of personal and often highly sensitive data,” said Max Schrems, an Austrian law student who retrieved 1,222 pages worth of his personal information last year from Facebook. Among them he found wall posts, messages, email addresses and friend names that he had previously deleted from his account.
Third parties can see your data. Many Facebook apps garner data about users’ friends. That means even if you don’t use a particular app it could have access to your data just by way of one of your friends who is using it. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on May 6, 2012, in #breaking news, #facebook insights and tagged austrian law, facebook, likes, news, privacy abuse, privacy tools, social-media, stalkers, technology, top story. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.