Facebook Wants You to Donate Your Organs
Posted by Rant4u
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is hoping to use the power of his 900 million member social networking platform and peer pressure to convince people to become registered organ donors. Starting Tuesday, Facebook users living in the U.S. and U.K. can add an organ donor status to their Facebook profile and post it publicly to their Timeline.
Zuckerberg says the inspiration behind Facebook’s organ donation push comes from COO Sheryl Sandberg and Dr. Andrew M. Cameron, a transplant surgeon at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Zuckerberg attended Harvard with Sandberg and together came up with the idea after meeting at a college reunion last spring, according to a John Hopkins press release. Zuckerberg early Tuesday told the ABC new program Good Morning America his girlfriend, Priscilla Chan, who is studying to be a pediatrician, was also an inspiration.
Users living in the U.S. and U.K. that want to become donors can use the new feature to sign-up with their respective organ donor registries. Facebook’s announcement follows reports from late Monday that the social network was getting ready to release a new life-saving tool.
If successful, Facebook’s organ donor push has the potential to help save the lives of the more than 114,000 people in the U.S. currently waiting for new kidneys, lungs, hearts, and other organs.
Courtesy ABC’s GMAIn an interview GMA co-host Robin Roberts asked why organ donation? Zuckerberg said that he was impressed by the way communities hit by tragedies such those recently in tornadoes Missouri and in Japan used Facebook to organize and find family.
“We figured is there anything we can do to help people solve other types of issues. Like all the people who need organ donations,” Zuckerberg told GMA. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on May 1, 2012, in #PCworld.com, #social media, #technology and tagged donor registries, john hopkins press, mark zuckerberg facebook, organ donar, organ donors, priscilla chan, sheryl sandberg. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.