Magnitude-3.9 quake shakes part of S. California
Posted by Rant4u
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif.—A small earthquake jolted the Orange County area of Southern California on Monday, startling residents but apparently causing no damage.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the magnitude-3.9 quake occurred at 10:37 a.m. and was centered a mile west of San Juan Capistrano.
The quake occurred at a depth of just over two miles and was felt in the central county area as a strong jolt.
There were no immediate reports of damage, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Marc Stone.
“It might knock a picture crooked on the wall or something like that,” he said. “It’s one of those reminders you should always be prepared in case another one does hit.”
The earthquake did not affect the San Onofre nuclear generating station, Southern California Edison spokeswoman Jennifer Manfre said. Both reactors at the plant, about 10 miles south of San Juan Capistrano, are currently shut down.
Laurie McIntyre, a librarian in San Juan Capistrano, said she heard a slow rumble for maybe two seconds and the temblor was over. Patrons took note of the sound but no books fell, she said. Read More
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)