Linus, Linux and the Millennium Technology Prize
Posted by Rant4u
It doesn’t happen often here in the Linux blogosphere that FOSS fans agree unanimously on — well, on pretty much anything.
Truth be told, there’s generally good reason for the dissension. Take Microsoft’s (Nasdaq: MSFT) latest maneuvers, for example — are they good news? Bad news? It’s not always easy to tell.
Last week, however, one of those rare announcements was made that brought universal joy to Linux aficionados around the globe. It was, of course, the news that none other than our own Linus Torvalds — a hero to us all — has been named a laureate for the 2012 Millennium Technology Prize.
‘A Great Impact’
“The free availability of Linux on the Web swiftly caused a chain-reaction leading to further development and fine-tuning worth the equivalent of 73,000 man-years,” wrote Technology Academy Finland, which determines the award, in an explanation of its choice.
“Today millions use computers, smartphones and digital video recorders like Tivo run on Linux,” the academy added.
“Linus Torvalds’ achievements have had a great impact on shared software development, networking, and the openness of the Web, making it accessible for millions, if not billions,” it concluded.
‘A Wonderful Recognition’
There’s been dancing in the streets of the Linux blogosphere ever since word arrived, and so far the party has shown no sign of slowing down.
Linux Girl — who prides herself on having interviewed the man himself not so very long ago — was right there in the middle of it all, Quick Quotes Quill at the ready.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
About Rant4uA Revolution in Social Networking
Posted on April 23, 2012, in #breaking news, #programming, #technology and tagged Awards, Linus, millennium technology, open source model, Operating systems, technology. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.